Formal Letter

 

Dear Professor Brad,

I am Pua Suan Ting, a student from your effective communication class T6. My purpose of writing this letter is to introduce myself. I studied in Ngee Ann Polytechnic and graduated with a Diploma in Automation and Mechatronics System.

During my internship in polytechnic, I found out that the things I have learnt in school were very fundamental and that there were still many things which I did not know. Therefore, I decided to continue my education by studying mechanical engineering in Singapore Institute of Technology in order to equip myself with the necessary knowledge and skills before I go out to work. 

My strength in communication is that I am a good listener and I am open to different ideas. During group discussion for projects, I always listen out for the things my groupmates say especially when they are talking about their ideas or challenges faced while they are trying to do their part. I believe that listening to others can help me to learn as they allow me to see things in another perspective which I might be unaware of. As for my weakness, I am afraid of speaking in front of a crowd. For example, I always feel so nervous during presentation in class that I cannot speak properly or I will forget what I am supposed to say.

I hope that by the end of this module, I am able to improve on my writing and I am able to overcome my fear of public speaking. I know that speaking in front of people will not be easy for me but I hope that I can at least start with a smaller crowd like my class.

Yours sincerely,

Suan Ting

Edited on 28 January

Comments

  1. Besides some minor grammatical errors, this letter is really good! It is clear, concise and flows really well from one paragraph to the next. However, your letter does not explain explain your personal interest in engineering as a whole.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Suan Ting

    Good to know more about you through this letter. The letter is well written and its clear in every paragraph. I agree with Christine on the part that it can be a little clearer on explaining your personal interest in engineering as a whole.

    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Suan Ting,

    Thank you for this fairly fluent, clear and concise letter. You cover the basics of the various assignment requirements and add some concrete detail, especially in terms of your interest in MEC, your goals for the module and strengths and weaknesses in comunication. I'm impressed by the frank discussion of what you need to improve.

    I hope to see you expanding your vocal engagement with the class as yo speak this term. I realize that wearing a mask is cumbersome. Please try your best.

    While this letter is fluent, there is one sentence with an issue with the use of verbs:
    -- I found out that the things I have learnt in school was very fundamental and that there are still many things which I did not know. > (subject-verb agreement and tense issue)

    I found out that the things I have learnt in school were very fundamental and that there were still many things which I did not know.

    I look forward to working with you further this term.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Design Summary & Analysis Draft 1

The Importance of communication skills for engineers